Topic: Help needed with Line 6 guitarport and riffworks

I have got Line6 Guitar-port with Riffworks running on a 1.5ghz g4 mac. I,m having trouble with the sequencer on Riffworks, when i use more than one "riff" the whole program starts to run very badly so i can't make songs.

Is my computer just not fast enough or is it a problem with the software?

I have had trouble registering my riffworks software and i still have to log into the site  when i riffcast or browse for new drums.

Would i be better off selling my line 6 guitarport rifftracker and buying a full copy of riffworks,, also is there any difference between  the copy that come with Guitarport and the version you can buy from Sonoma?

It is brilliant software tho and has already improved my guitar playing.

Thank you.

Ash.

Last edited by ashdry (2007-09-27 08:51:25)

Re: Help needed with Line 6 guitarport and riffworks

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if any of my questions seem obvious but I'm new to the software.

Thanks.

I was under the impression that you needed a MAC G5 and up to run RiffWorks.............I have a friend who couldn't load RW's on his MAC.....so he upgraded to a G5 and no problems........sounds like you have the Line 6 version..............the one from Sonoma at there online store will be the Standard version which means that your not tied to a Line 6 ASIO device.........
I'm sure one of the Sonoma crew will get to you so hang in there Ash..........

You don't need to sell L6 version, I reckon you can crossgrade to RiffWorks STD for $70 smile

Uncle Bill cool

No-one remembers what you do or say. Everyone remembers how you made them feel. Allegedly !!!!

http://www.riffworld.com/Members/Wedgebill
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wedgebill … 2405167945

Thanks for the help so far.

So my mac isn't fast enough to run RiffWorks?
The stated minimum system requirement on the L6 RiffTracker i bought are a 1ghz PC and my mac is faster than that and runs other music software OK.

I need someone to tell me if it just wont work properly  on my computer or if there is anything that can be done to make it work better.

The main problem i have is, as soon as i have more than one riff in song layers the program runs very slowly and crashes. And if i have a few layers running (and no riffs in songlayers) the audio starts to sound grainy although nothing is clipping.

I bought L6 RiffTracker for PC because i was told you can't get a specific copy for mac, so i had to download the software form the net, maybe thats the cause of the problem? would a fresh install help?

Thanks.

Ash.

You may well have come up with your own answer. There are definitely different versions of RiffWorks Standard for PC and Mac so it's probably true for the Line6 version as well. Hopefully Gator or someone will see this very shortly and give you a definitive answer.

Uncle Bill cool

No-one remembers what you do or say. Everyone remembers how you made them feel. Allegedly !!!!

http://www.riffworld.com/Members/Wedgebill
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wedgebill … 2405167945

Ash, here's the minimum requirements for the Line 6 version from their site:

MACINTOSH®

G4 -1.5GHz or better (G4 1.67 or better recommended)
Power PC and Intel® processor platforms are supported
OS X 10.4 or better
512MB RAM minimum (1GB or more recommended)
1GB free HD space minimum (2GB or more recommended)
Drive speed 5400rpm minimum (7200rpm or faster recommended)
CD-ROM drive
Internet connection for online features

RiffWorks Standard has similar requirements:

MacOS:
G4 1.33GHz (Intel CoreDuo or G5 1.8GHz recommended)
Core Audio input device - some don't have one built-in eg. MacMini (Recommended Hardware List)
Mac OS X 10.4 or later, including Universal
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
1GB of disk space free for installation
5 GB of disk space free for recording
Activation, RiffCaster & RiffLink require an internet connection
Appropriate beverages

It looks to me like you just don't have enough speed in that machine.  Memory also plays a big part but I don't know how much you have.

Cheers,

J.J.

I have just checked and my mac is a 1.5 GHZ (G4) not a 1GHZ and i have over 1GB ram so it does meet the minimum system requirements.

I can run Logic 7 with virtual instruments inc. battery and massive with effects and audio with no problems, so i would be surprised if riffworks wont run.
It seems to be the riffworks software thats the issue, its ether a bad port from PC to Mac or i have installed it incorrectly.

Any other mac users out there that can help?

I would really like to get it running correctly because i love using the software for it ease of use, just hit play and jam... no writing drum parts and messing about with MIDI.

Is it possible to get just instantdrummer to run as a instrument in logic?

Thanks for your help.

Ash.

Last edited by ashdry (2007-09-21 08:07:53)

Did you say you installed the PC version on your Mac?  I think, even though the software is "crossplatform" you need to download and install the Mac version.  Also try using "Monkey" to update all of your L6 drivers.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
> ~ Benjamin Franklin

thats the answer there, althought its a finiky program with Line6 interface. You need the proper software fior the platform

Of course i didn't load PC software on my Mac it wouldn't work at all if i did that, as previously stated i downloaded the mac version.