Topic: Online realtime jamming--is it possible?

Can RiffWorks or associated products facilitate online realtime jamming? I moved to Florida, my band's in Michigan, and we'd like to see if we can play together occasionally.

Re: Online realtime jamming--is it possible?

RiffWorks and its built-in on-line collaboration tool, "RiffLink" are ostensibly recording products and, as such, aren't really designed to facilitate 'live jamming sessions' where everyone can hear everyone else whilst they're playing.
You can certainly have two, three or four people all recording on the same track at the same time. However, you'll only hear everyone else's input after you've finished recording yours, they've finished theirs and then you hit 'playback' - if that makes sense. smile
Those of us blessed enough to be a part of the "RiffLink Junkies" are spread far and wide around the world and often agree to be on-line at the same time to record together. The 'chat' facility in RiffLink is realtime so you can feedback to other players there and then, agree to add, change or delete things then make those amendments with further immediate feedback.
It's a very creative and productive process, all made possible by RiffWorks.

Cheers!
Scott

This is not a Sonoma product, but many love it and it exists to create online Jam sessions.

http://ninjam.com/download.php

Thank you both. Ninjam looks splendid. I also found eJamming.com later.

Live online jamming won't be available for a long time to come.  Not until bandwidth gets high enough to be able to reliably transmit lots of information "in real time".  In other words, that scene from The Rocker?  We won't be able to do that for a long time.

"I think the problem might have been, that there was a stonehenge monument on stage in danger of being crushed, by a dwarf".  "I really think you're making a big thing out of this".  "Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea".

with 2 sound cards you can use riffworks.. with Ejam as your daw.. Pretty much just wire one sound card into the other riffworks in the rewired sound card.

I've been on Ninjam a couple times - it's realtime!  I was skeptical at first - but now I'm just impressed at how well it works.

Nijam is NOT realtime but it does a good job of creating the illusion of being realtime. What you are actually hearing is a delayed stream synched to the metronome.

From Wikipedia:

"NINJAM is a collaborative musical jamming software system which has made the concept of "virtual-time" jamming (as opposed to "real-time") well-known, although it isn't the first such system to do this. Groups using NINJAM connect to a common server, and as the jam goes on each user plays a measure. At the end of each measure, whatever each user has played is played to every other user's client, resulting in what some have described as "a mildly strange but engaging experience". NINJAM also boasts a small free web service for musicians to locate other users interested in a common genre or find someone who specializes at a particular instrument to join them in a jam session."

I had some fun jamming with some guys from France one night. We just had a jam session for about 2 hours trading solos and ideas...very fun indeed. The main difference between the two programs is that RiffWorks is persistant while Ninjam isn't meant to be. For example, if you create a collab in RiffWorks it will be there next time you login. With Ninjam the server doesnt actually store any songs. You have to record it live while you are playing if you want to edit it later.

I used to use eJamming. Now I use RiffWorks by some weird company called sonomawireworks smile

d1stewart wrote:

Can RiffWorks or associated products facilitate online realtime jamming? I moved to Florida, my band's in Michigan, and we'd like to see if we can play together occasionally.

Ide say its impossibe, because of latencies. you have a latency from your guitar, then u have the latency going to the other person. depending on how far they are, it can be really REALLY bad. you can kill the sound quality to speed it up, but distance will ruin everything.

Hey, at least it's faster than the speed of sound! It would take even more time to blast  your amp across your country tongue

EvanBerard wrote:

Hey, at least it's faster than the speed of sound! It would take even more time to blast  your amp across your country tongue

actually, in most cases it isnt the speed of sound. once you start going into the ping range of 150-200 your gunna get some massive lag.

NO, it isn't the speed of sound... I know that.

The last thing you want is lag in your gunna Evan roll wink

No-one remembers what you do or say. Everyone remembers how you made them feel. Allegedly !!!!

http://www.riffworld.com/Members/Wedgebill
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wedgebill … 2405167945

pbbobkanobi wrote:

Nijam is NOT realtime but it does a good job of creating the illusion of being realtime. What you are actually hearing is a delayed stream synched to the metronome.

Wow!  I didn't realize that - sorry for the disinformation - learn somethin' new every day if you pay attention...

Good to hear user feedback on how RiffWorks guitar recording and online music collaboration software compares with other products.

There is a good discussion here as well if you'd like to chime in:

http://www.wikihow.com/Discussion:Parti … aborations

Mentioned ya there!