Topic: GuitarJack won't work with iPad?

So Sonoma's new GuitarJack won't work with iPad? Any reason why not? Is there some sort of limitation on the iPad that doesn't exist on the iPhone regarding input, mics, etc?

Thanks for any info!

Re: GuitarJack won't work with iPad?

RiffLearner wrote:

So Sonoma's new GuitarJack won't work with iPad? Any reason why not? Is there some sort of limitation on the iPad that doesn't exist on the iPhone regarding input, mics, etc?

Thanks for any info!

Hello RiffLearner,

It is true that the GuitarJack will not work with iPad or the new iPhone 4. The reason is that Apple decided to throw us a curve ball. The dock connector that the GuitarJack uses to connect to the phone is different on the iPad and iPhone 4 compared to the previous iPhones and iPods. It is not a physical difference but more of how it works internally.

-Jason

What's the difference? Can the iPad not accept a line in feed? Or is it less drastic than that?

Apple changed the pins on the iPad and iPhone 4 doc connector. The details of these differences are covered under an NDA with Apple's Made for iPod program. The good news is we are already working on a product that will work on the iPad and iPhone 4 smile

Best,
Michelle

Great, keep us posted.

It's great that you're working on an iPad version. For me, I won't be buying StudioTrack until there's some sort of high quality stereo audio input option (either compatibility with a good quality USB interface, or an iPad GuitarJack).

Would you say that the iPad interface is more limited than the iPhone 1-3 (ie, there's no audio input or something?). Obviously you're under NDA, but it would be good to have some idea whether you think an iPad version will have the same spec and capabilities as your current interface.

I just bought two adapters from kvConnection that work great.  One for 1/4" input and the other for XLR input.  Both have a stereo headphone jack too.  I realize this is not a stereo input as you requested, but thought it may help nonetheless.

We can't go into much detail at this point, but it looks like the iPad device may have similar capabilities and additional features but you'll have to be patient as it will take a while to develop and manufacture.

dpinnovation wrote:

I just bought two adapters from kvConnection that work great.  One for 1/4" input and the other for XLR input.  Both have a stereo headphone jack too.  I realize this is not a stereo input as you requested, but thought it may help nonetheless.

That kvconnection is a huge site with all kinds of cables, adapters, etc. Which one's in particular did you get?

I'll still need the Guitarjack for stereo, but this may help in the meantime.

thanks for any info...

Will the product built for an iPad/iPhone 4 also be compatible with the iPhone 3Gs?  Will you have to buy different Guitar Jacks?

Yes the GuitarJack Model 2 built for an iPad/iPhone 4 will also be compatible with the iPhone 3Gs.

GuitarJack Model 1 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (2nd and 3rd generation).
GuitarJack Model 1 will NOT work with iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), or iPad.

GutiarJack Model 2 will work with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), and iPad.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/