Topic: GuitarJack Model 2 Works with Most Third Party Apps

GuitarJack Model 2 works best with FourTrack for iPhone, StudioTrack for iPad, GuitarTone and Taylor EQ because they include the GuitarJack Control Panel (GCP), and StudioTrack and FourTrack have extra features, like simultaneous instrument recording onto two tracks and stereo recording onto two tracks, which are lacking in most other apps. GuitarJack Model 2 is compatible with many recording apps, guitar tuners, and audio effects apps, even if they do not have the GuitarJack Control Panel. To change modes or set levels for use with third party apps, configure the settings using an app with the GCP, then quit to launch the third party app. GuitarJack Model 2 will retain the current settings and levels even when the iOS device goes to sleep (auto-locks) or the GuitarJack is disconnected (Note: GuitarJack Model 1 and GuitarJack 2 USB do not remember settings after the device goes to sleep or the GuitarJack is disconnected). More info in the guide about  Using GuitarJack with Third Party Apps that do not include the GuitarJack Control Panel.

GuitarJack Model 2 users have reported success using the following third party apps that do not include a GuitarJack Control Panel. We're sure GuitarJack Model 2 works with many more audio apps!

AmpKit by Agile Partners
Amps & Cabs by Ground Up Audio
Auria - WaveMachine Labs
Cleartune - Chromatic Tuner by bitcount
AmpliTube and AmpliTube Slash - IK Multimedia
Garage Band - Apple
Guitar Amp - Studio Devil
Luci Live Lite - Technica Del Arte
MultiTrack DAW - Harmonicdog
PocketAmp by Checkeffect.net
StompBox - 4Pockets.com
JamUp  Pro
Sonoma's GuitarTone amps and effects app and Taylor EQ app include the GuitarJack Model 2 control panel. 

Let us know your experience with GuitarJack Model 2 working with  other third party apps.

Get GuitarJack!

Subscribe to GuitarJack announcements here.

Re: GuitarJack Model 2 Works with Most Third Party Apps

Hi,
I have a question about app support. I have two apps which I need and I want to know is that compatible with the GuitarJack.
These are the apps: Planet Waves Guitar Tools, EveryDay Looper
And I'm sure I will find other apps which are useful for me and I want to know the GuitarJack is compatible with any other apps or just with a few?
Thanks,
KnighT

Has anyone checked to see if the new version of Amplitube works?

Is Guitarjack core audio compliant?

Hello tommunch,

Edit:
While AmpliTube didn't used to allow compatibility with dock connecting devices, it is now compatible with GuitarJack.

-Jason

Hello daiku,

I am not sure I understand you question regarding core audio compliant. Can you specify what it is exactly you would like to do with the GuitarJack?

-Jason

im considering investing in this device... the reviews seem solid but i'm still doing research to find out if its fully compatible with my setup (it's a great looking device and solid no doubt - but for the price, i just gotta be sure!). 

can anybody confirm if guitarjack 2 is compatible with the "multitrack daw" app?

also if it is compatible with multitrack daw, is one able to change the input on a track from stereo to mono/left or mono/right within mtdaw or do you have to do this within the guitarjack 2 control panel first?

thanks so much for any input!

jason

Yes GuitarJack works with MultiTrack DAW per their forum thread about this, though I'm not sure if it will do simultaneous recording of two tracks at the same time like FourTrack and StudioTrack does. You would need to use a control panel in GuitarTone, FourTrack or StudioTrack to set the inputs for stereo recording.

Also, we received some good news today - the only amp model that did not work was AmpliTube, but now IK says it works and the iheartguitarblog reviewer tried GuitarJack with AmpliTube 2.5 and AmpliTube Slash with success.

Any idea when the GuitarJack Control Panel SDK will be available to developers?

Cheers,

Stew

The GuitarJack Control Panel SDK is getting close. We'll make an announcement to developers who have expressed interest in it, and/or who are implementing AudioCopy and/or AudioPaste as soon as it is ready.

michelle wrote:

Yes GuitarJack works with MultiTrack DAW per their forum thread about this), though I'm not sure if it will do simultaneous recording of two tracks at the same time like FourTrack and StudioTrack does. You would need to use a control panel in GuitarTone, FourTrack or StudioTrack to set the inputs for stereo recording.

GuitarJack 2 and MultiTrack DAW seem to play nicely together. I've done (simple) experiments with recording both (1) stereo tracks, and (2) a pair of mono tracks. The MT UI isn't particularly intuitive on the second possibility, but the functionality is there: tap on the part of the channel strip where you'd arm the track, then tap-hold on the "stereo" indication, watch for the blue arrows to appear, and then drag up and down to get other choices "Mono 1" and "Mono 2." (Those choices only appear if the GuitarJack or some other stereo USB adaptor is plugged in, and if it's an empty track, or a previously recorded mono track.)

If you want to split the input into two tracks, add them, then assign one to "Mono 1," and the other to "Mono 2;" in that case, you'll be able to arm both of those tracks, not just one single stereo track. As michelle noted above, you'll need to use one of the Sonoma "control panels" to configure the GuitarJack, especially if you'll need to set the gain/pad on the two physical sources independently. Then you'll have the ability to pan each track to a position in the acoustic space, and to decide on FX routing within MT on a per-channel-strip basis.

As I said, so far, my experiments have been simple, but everything has been working the way I'd like it to. Good luck.

Paul

Last edited by Tburgueso (2012-07-15 18:05:39)

Michelle said, "However, if the iOS device sleeps (auto-locks), the GuitarJack will return to the default settings. You must return to FourTrack or another GuitarJack control panel enabled app to restore the settings."

This really isn't ok; far from it.   It is absolutely necessary to use the sleep button to keep the battery from an early death due to the screen being on.  Having to switch to FourTrack (with its startup delay) every time you turn the screen back on and before returning to, i.e., MultiTrack DAW is just not acceptable.  My forgetter will have a heyday with that.

How about a global GJ control panel app that you can get to via "Settings" that maintains the device state whatever might be running, including sleep, and regardless of whether or not the GJ is connected?  That would be a general solution that would handle the issue with every recording app without each of those app's developers having to specially accommodate GJ in order to get it to work right.  The latter sounds like a prescription for failure to me.

Last edited by DonGateley (2012-09-01 21:39:58)

I should do some testing before running my mouth.  Using Multitrack DAW does _not_ require a return to FourTrack after turning off the screen to get device setting back!  The GuitarJack settings are retained just fine when it is turned back on within MultTrack DAW. 

What does require it is removal of the GJ but with a strip of scotch tape accidents can be avoided until you really want to remove it.

I still think, however, that GJ device settings should be controlled from the IOS settings menu to make it application independent.

Yes, GuitarJack Model 2 settings are retained when switching apps, after the device goes to sleep, and when the GuitarJack is unplugged. Glad to hear it is working for you. We will verify it is all working properly, and if not make sure it's fixed in a firmware update.

To address your issue about running out of power, we run GuitarJack all day at trade shows with the screen brightness set to 20% - 30%. We recommend turning your brightness down in order save power, so that you can use it for a longer period of time.

Regarding your request that the "GJ device settings should be controlled from the IOS settings menu to make it application independent"

From the iOS Preferences and Settings Programming Guide
"If you are creating an iOS app, you can use a Settings bundle to present preferences, but you should do so only for settings the user changes infrequently." GuitarJack settings are changed frequently, so this is not recommended by Apple.

Also, a Settings Bundle cannot provide custom UI, so that would mean no meters, which is an important feature in the GuitarJack Control Panel (GCP).

These are two factors that rule out the iOS Preferences and Settings solution for the time being.

GuitarTone (free) and Taylor EQ (free) are, in concept, playing the part of the GuitarJack Settings App that I believe you are requesting as an alternative solution.

If we create a separate GuitarJack Settings App, it would still be an app, so you would still be quitting one app to launch the GuitarJack Settings App to adjust the GuitarJack, then going back to the app you were originally using. We understand that it might make you a bit happier to use a separate GuitarJack Settings App, while using an app that doesn't include the GCP, because of the chance that a GuitarJack Settings App might launch faster than the apps that currently include the GCP, so we will take this into consideration.

For people using GuitarTone (free), Taylor EQ (free), StudioTrack and FourTrack that include the GCP (and other apps that will include it soon), we would keep the GCP built-in so they would not have to launch a separate settings app while trying to use one of these apps.

Thank you for your suggestions, feedback and continued interest!

Michelle

Thanks for the dialog, Michelle.

michelle wrote:

From the iOS Preferences and Settings Programming Guide
"If you are creating an iOS app, you can use a Settings bundle to present preferences, but you should do so only for settings the user changes infrequently." GuitarJack settings are changed frequently, so this is not recommended by Apple

Well, that's just a pragmatic and as such is the developer's call.  I would disagree that changes are frequent .

Also, a Settings Bundle cannot provide custom UI, so that would mean no meters, which is an important feature in the GuitarJack Control Panel (GCP).

Yep, that's a problem.  The whole point of putting it in IOS would be so that you could control the device without leaving the third party recording app and the absence of input level display capability in a Settings bundle, while surprising, is not good. 

However, if there were an IOS Settings bundle one could see the input levels that result from changes in the gain just by switching back and forth between the third party app and the setting.  You can't do that today because firing up one of your apps to control it kills the output of the third party app and that output can be crucial to the correct input gain setting.  This is the problem that prevents my ability to use MultiTrack DAW.  I'm sure this is a problem with any third party app.

GuitarTone (free) and Taylor EQ (free) are, in concept, playing the part of the GuitarJack Settings App that I believe you are requesting as an alternative solution.

Yes, one that doesn't kill the output from the third party recording app like those do.  I notice that when MultiTrack DAW is playing I can switch to other apps like iFile or Google without killing MTD's output.  So this output exclusion seems to be a property of the coincident app.  Can you take advantage of this by making a stand alone GJ2 control panel app that doesn't kill the sound from other apps?  If so, I would think you could whip up such a minimal app in a heartbeat.

If we create a separate GuitarJack Settings App, it would still be an app, so you would still be quitting one app to launch the GuitarJack Settings App to adjust the GuitarJack, then going back to the app you were originally using. We understand that it might make you a bit happier to use a separate GuitarJack Settings App, while using an app that doesn't include the GCP, because of the chance that a GuitarJack Settings App might launch faster than the apps that currently include the GCP, so we will take this into consideration

Cool!  I could easily live with switching back and forth, to and from, that app until I get gain set right.  It must, however, not kill the sound output from the third party recording app.  I think this would be an awesome solution that could make the GJ2 work well with all third party apps without requiring them to incorporate your control panel (a losing proposition I think.)

Thanks Again.

P.S. I really wish you would lengthen or remove your login timeout.  It timed out while I was composing this response and the only reason I didn't lose it and have to reconstruct it was that I copied it to the clipboard in anticipation of the login timeout.

Thanks for your helpful feedback. We'll take it all into consideration.

Best,
Michelle

michelle wrote:

Thanks for your helpful feedback. We'll be sure to take it all into consideration.

Best,
Michelle

And thanks again for the dialog. 

I'll be able to get that app tomorrow, right?  :-)

I found out how to control GJ2 input gain with Taylor EQ while using a third party recording app that is playing without suppressing the output of the third party app.  In Taylor EQ where there are GJ2 controls there is also a setting that can be reached under More->Mixer called "Enable iPod Playthrough."  If that is turned "on" no output suppression will occur while in the Taylor EQ app.

An important thing to know if using the Taylor EQ app to control the GJ2 is that in order for its settings to be saved when you switch back the app you are using for recording you must go to the "Basic" page of the Taylor EQ before switching to the recording app.  If you switch while on the GJ2 control page it loses its mind.

Sorry folks, but I am still at the most basic questions.

I want to record the stereo output of just my guitar with the dual amp setting using guitartone 2.0 into the studiotrack recorder or another multitrack recorder. How can I arm 2 tracks and get a real time stereo guitar track?

Hello Davarunaman,

When using the 1/8" stereo input of the GuitarJack, StudioTrack recognizes the stereo signal and allows you to record on two tracks.

Is this not working for you? If you are having problems, please write into support@sonomawireworks.com for faster help resolving your issue.

Thanks,

Josh

FYI iosmusician made some GuitarJack model 2 and the JamUp Pro app Demos, so we've added JamUp Pro to the list of apps above:

http://www.iosmusician.com/2012/11/sono … -deal.html

http://www.iosmusician.com/2012/11/jamu … demos.html

re: Multitrack DAW + GJ2 on an iPhone 4s

I have tried this from every direction I can think of. It is not working for me. I have an iPhone 4s, and I can set the levels in TaylorEQ, get a great sound, but the signal is killed as soon as I go to a third party app (Multitrack DAW).
Also the settings that I have set for my mic are lost as soon as I return--even if I follow Don's suggestion to go to the Basic page before switching.

Unfortunately, none of the workarounds he describes have worked for me. My experience is that Guitarjack 2 does not seem compatible with Multitrack DAW, which I hope can be resolved quickly, as the two devices seem destined for greatness if they can just hold hands.

DonGateley wrote:

I found out how to control GJ2 input gain with Taylor EQ while using a third party recording app that is playing without suppressing the output of the third party app.  In Taylor EQ where there are GJ2 controls there is also a setting that can be reached under More->Mixer called "Enable iPod Playthrough."  If that is turned "on" no output suppression will occur while in the Taylor EQ app.

An important thing to know if using the Taylor EQ app to control the GJ2 is that in order for its settings to be saved when you switch back the app you are using for recording you must go to the "Basic" page of the Taylor EQ before switching to the recording app.  If you switch while on the GJ2 control page it loses its mind.

Users have reported success using this app with GuitarJack Model 2: Luci Live Lite by Technica Del Arte