Topic: GuitarJack Model 2 Recommended Microphones

While GuitarJack Model 2 does not come with a microphone, it will work with any un-powered dynamic microphone, eg. Shure SM-57, SM-58, EV RE-20, Sennheiser MD-421, etc. An XLR to 1/4" cable or adapter will be required.  A low-Z to hi-Z impedance adapter is NOT required.

GuitarJack Model 2 does NOT provide phantom power, but it can be used with mono or stereo battery powered condenser microphones.

Sonoma Wire Works has tested GuitarJack Model 2 with the following battery powered condenser mics:

• Rode NT4 ($899 MSRP) - stereo XY condenser microphone with two externally biased 1/2 capsules with gold sputtered diaphragms. Phantom power or 9V battery operation. Doug Wright, Sonoma Wire Works' CEO, uses the Rode NT4.

• AKG C1000S ($399 MSRP) - cardioid condenser microphone, great for mobile recording or live sound. Phantom or battery power.

• Sony ECM719 ($89.99 MSRP) - one point stereo microphone.

• Sony ECMMS907 ($99.99 MSRP) - one-point MS stereo electret condensor mic with adjustable pickup angle.

The following battery powered condenser mics have not been tested with GuitarJack Model 2, but should work:

• Audio-Technica AT8022 ($499 MSRP) - stereo condenser microphone with an XY capsule configuration. Powered by battery or phantom power.

• Shure VP88 ($950 MSRP) - single-point stereo condenser mic with 3-way switchable stereo width control.

Let's hear your recommendations of mics you have used with GuitarJack Model 2.

Get GuitarJack Model 2!

Re: GuitarJack Model 2 Recommended Microphones

Why do you say an XLR to 1/4 adapter is needed, since the mic input is 1/8?  I think you need both the XLR to 1/4 and also a 1/4 to 1/8 plug adapter.  Or are you saying that the mic would be plugged in to the 1/4 input?  If so, where would the guitar go?

Hello GlobalRoamer,

I am happy to help. You can get an XLR to 1/8 inch and plug it into the 1/8 inch connection as well.

-Jason

I have GuitarJack Model 2 and the new Ipad. The guitar works fine but I do not get the mic to work. I am using a Mic W but tried out different mics at the guitar store and none of them gave me a signal on e.g. four track. Do I have to change something in settings?
Stephan

Hello Beelight,

The GuitarJack Model 2 does not provide phantom power so you will need to make sure you are using a mic that does not require power or supplies its own power.

In terms of settings, within our free app GuitarTone which is included in FourTrack and StudioTrack, there is the GuitarJack control panel. The GuitarJack control panel will allow you to set up the GuitarJack for use with the 1/8", 1/4", or both inputs depending upon your needs.

If you are still having problems, please email us at support@sonomawireworks.com and we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Jason

Hello,

so i know that there is no 48v phantom power supplied, however does it supply "line in power"?
This is more like 3v and the ipod itself for instance does provide this (but it doesn't say anywhere)
The MiniDiscs and walkmans of old use to supply this as well.
The reason i'm asking is because i'd like to use my ipod for binaural recording.

Kind regards,

Brakje

Hello brakje,

GuitarJack does not supply any power, not even the 3v.

-Jason

I will try GuitarJack but I must change my phone and leave the Iphone. Have you some other devices for Android ?
Thanks

Mils from Musikium - Musique libre de droit French Royalty Free Music