Topic: Who else hears sound degredation when importing riffs into RiffLink?

I've run into this a lot.  I record some riffs locally on my desktop and mix them until I get them just right.  When I decide to put the song up for collaboration, I'll upload the riffs into a new RiffLink, re-build the songlayer and have a listen. 

"Whoa, that doesn't sound like what I created.  Why is there a hiss or an echo there?  I didn't hear that in my local copy of the riff.  Hmmm, let me Riffcast this and see if it sounds any better....nope.   Let me Riffcast the original...yep sounds great."

My last riffcast was a collab where the sound quality was severely degraded after uploading to Rifflink.  I had to export the riffs after someone else added new riffs and layers, then merge them back into my original.   Boy, did it sound waaay better.

Sound familiar?   Just curious if this is a personal issue or a bit more widespread.

Re: Who else hears sound degredation when importing riffs into RiffLink?

Rick Riffworks is using a 6 to 1 compression ration and also rifflink is converting stereo files to mono ones. Luckily guitars are mono by nature if you record them mono they sound fine on rifflink. But if you use stereo effects and import it(even reverbs that are not labelled stereo are often stereo) the sound gets squished and kind of awful.

I have also noticed that some brighter sounding guitar sounds mainly clean ones will often get a high pitch static between 4k and 8k. Shelving at 4k gets rid of it completely but darkens your sound, while 8k is cleaner but still noticeable.

Is this why my ears tend to ring on Riffworks recordings and not on others. High pitch static? I have been curiouis about this. I do hear degradation on a mix down.

i've said that for a while.

that's why i want the edit back!

i will post and listen then go back and adjust.

usually it's rev or something like that.

just yesterday i listened to some tunes and had to play something from my media player to

see if it was my pc that was messed up.

"..you know, i have no professional training of singing and dancing"

fooks wrote:

i've said that for a while.

that's why i want the edit back!

i will post and listen then go back and adjust.

usually it's rev or something like that.

just yesterday i listened to some tunes and had to play something from my media player to

see if it was my pc that was messed up.

I would like the edit back too for this same reason.

One thing I've discovered is that the hiss can be fixed with EQ. Turn on EQ then turn the HI CUT knob to 4k. It will clear a lot of the hiss without affecting your tone too much.

Last edited by ccjamz (2012-07-08 10:37:49)

Less is more.. That's the proverb.. Leave out the stereo fx and use the  fx in rifflink. Sometimes you record a superb piece to your ears locally,but it becomes mud in rifflink. Everything in rifflink is saved as mono.. I myself have difficulty finding the sound and balance for mono... hmm