Overview of Features
- Multitrack Recording - 4 tracks plus bounce
- Input Monitoring - to enable/disable input monitoring use FourTrack's settings tool. Input monitoring is enabled when a track is armed and in either Pause or Record mode. Playback of existing tracks overrides input monitoring. When input monitoring is on, sliders on armed tracks are enabled and control the monitor mix.
- Slide-to-Record - prevents over-writing your tracks
- Latency Compensation - accurate to within 1ms - The buffersize chosen for FourTrack is a compromise between latency and processing efficiency for all the tasks that FourTrack needs to accomplish on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. We are working to reduce it, and may offer a lower latency option on more powerful devices like the iPhone 4S.
- Recording Quality - 16 bit, 44.1 kHz
- Import and Export - Export your recordings by uploading to Dropbox, saving to your Desktop with iTunes file sharing, or use AudioCopy to copy your tracks to another app. Import content through email, iTunes file sharing, or by copying from another AudioCopy enabled app.
- Each track features Pan, Gain, and Record
- GuitarJack Model 2 Song Tool - adjust the input settings of the GuitarJack Model 2 audio input/output accessory for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. See Song Tools below.
- Calibrated Meters - accurately monitor record and playback levels
- Calibrated Faders - accurately adjust playback level of each track
- Taylor EQ - See Song Tools below.
- MasterFX - sweeten the sound of your recordings with a compressor-limiter and a 4-band parametric EQ
- Output Compressor-Limiter - automatically fattens sound of the output mix
- Metronome - select tempo by number or tapping. Includes pro drum recordings.
- Bounce - mix song to track 1 and 2 of a new song to record as many tracks as you want
- Mix - save the mix as a stereo file
- NEW in v6: Bass Response Correction - when set to AUTO, this will boost the bass response of the recorded signal when using the built-in microphone and headset jack, but not affect devices connected via the dock connector.
- NEW in v6: Speaker Playback - audio can now be played through the speaker in addition to the headset/earpiece.
- NEW in v6: GuitarTone Amps & Effects - See Song Tools below.
- NEW in v6: Jam along with your favorite songs by launching FourTrack while your iTunes Music app is playing. iPod playthrough is always on, so there is no need to turn it on in settings.
- NEW in v7: AudioCopy 2 - See Song Tools below
- NEW in v7: Dropbox sync - Upload and share a mix or individual tracks
- NEW in v7.1.1: Updated for iOS 9
- NEW in v7.1.1: Added AudioCopy 3: Copy and paste audio between other AudioCopy 3 enabled apps.
- NEW in v7.1.1: Added support for upcoming GuitarJack Stage and StudioJack Mini.
AudioCopy/AudioPaste allows you to copy audio from FourTrack into AudioPaste enabled apps, and paste audio into FourTrack from AudioCopy enabled apps. For a complete list of AudioCopy/AudioPaste enabled apps, visit the AudioCopy page.
Import and Export: (See warning below)*
Import WAV, MP3, and AIFF files into FourTrack in two ways:
Export from FourTrack (2 Ways):
- Audio files attached to emails can be imported by opening the email using the iPhone's email client (not the web browser), then pressing and holding the attached audio file. A dialogue box will open asking which program you would like to open that file in. If FourTrack is installed on your device, FourTrack will be an option. This method requires iOS 4 or greater.
- Connect your device to your computer, open iTunes on your computer, go to Devices/Apps, scroll to bottom, select FourTrack, then drag audio files from your computer into the FourTrack Documents list. FourTrack on your phone will automatically recognize that there is an import availalble and will ask you if you would like to import it. When you say OK, FourTrack will create a new song named the same as the file you imported, or if you click "Cancel", you may wait and use FourTrack's File Import song tool later. This method requies iOS 4 or greater and iTunes 9.2 or greater. (Note, FourTrack's Sessions folder in this location in iTunes on your desktop can be dragged out of iTunes to the desktop as an export method.)
- Also copy audio from AudioCopy compatible apps to a track in FourTrack.
- Dropbox Sync - Tap "Song Tools" and then "Dropbox". Sign in to your Dropbox account and allow FourTrack access. Once signed in your can upload your current song and are then given options to share this track by emailing download links to others.
- File sharing with iTunes 9.2 and iOS 4* - Go into the Fourtrack File Sharing section of the Apps tab in iTunes and drag your session onto your desktop.
*Important Warning - To prevent losing data during iTunes sync:
1. MAC - Before connecting your device, in iTunes, click on Preferences - Devices to access the device menu. Make sure the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" box is checked. Doing this will require you to manually sync from this point forward.
PC - Before connecting your device, in iTunes click Edit - Preferences - Devices tab. Make sure the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" box is checked. Doing this will require you to manually sync from this point forward.
2. Before syncing, back up your device. To back up, right click on your device and click "Back Up".
3. Before syncing, make sure to transfer purchases. To do this click File - Transfer Purchases from "NAME OF YOUR DEVICE"
Following these steps will prevent information from being deleted accidentally from your device. For additional information, consult Apple.com.
Also Important: If you delete the FourTrack app from your phone, your FourTrack songs will be deleted, too. Back up your songs regularly (especially before you delete the app or update iOS) by using the FourTrack project export methods explained here. If you accidentally delete FourTrack or your FourTrack songs, and you have a backup of you phone, you can try finding a desktop application for browsing your past backups in iTunes to see if that helps you find your FourTrack songs. We cannot guarantee that these backups browsers will work, but it might be worth a try. Try "Google-ing" "iPhone app itunes backups browser."
GuitarJack Model 2:
Plug a guitar and an instrument or microphone into an iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th gen.), iPad mini and the fourth generation iPad (using Apple's Lightning to 30-pin Adapter), the third generation iPad, iPad 2, iPad, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (3rd and 4th gen.). GuitarJack Model 2 connects a wide range of instruments, microphones, and other audio hardware to iOS devices via 1/4 inch instrument and 1/8 inch stereo mic/line inputs and an 1/8 inch stereo/line output. Helping musicians achieve the best sound quality on iOS, GuitarJack Model 2 includes superior components, input level control with 60 dB of gain plus 12 dB pad for 72 dB of adjustment, configurable Lo-Z and Hi-Z modes, and more. GuitarJack Model 2 works great with Sonoma's iOS apps, which are compatible with iOS 6, as well as third party apps like GarageBand. GuitarJack Model 2 is Made in the U.S.A. FourTrack includes the GuitarJack Model 2 control panel which allows you to adjust settings. Observe metering in the GuitarJack Model 2 Song Tool to prevent clipping and set gain level appropriately. Record in stereo and simultaneously record 1/4" and 1/8" audio while using GuitarJack Model 2 with FourTrack and StudioTrack. More in the GuitarJack Model 2 Guide.
GuitarTone Amps & Effects (NEW): 3 free amps and 3 free effects have been added to a GuitarTone Song Tool in FourTrack. Add-on AmpPacks and PedalPacks purchased in Sonoma's free GuitarTone iOS app are activated in FourTrack and StudioTrack on any device that uses the same iTunes account.* Connect Sonoma's high quality GuitarJack Model 2 to get 12 more amps and cabs plus 12 more effects free, or buy them as add-ons in the GuitarTone stand-alone app, and they will be activated in FourTrack.
Taylor EQ is a special 6-band parametric EQ designed for users with Taylor guitars, like the Taylor GS Mini. Sonoma teamed with Taylor Guitars to create an input EQ for enhancing the FourTrack recordings of Taylor Guitars or any acoustic instrument, provide the most natural sounding tone.
The Settings Song Tool allows you to turn input monitoring on or off, change a project's BPM, and adjust the timeline's snap.
The Metronome Song Tool allows users to choose one of several rhythms and loops as a metronome for their project. The BPM of a project can either be tapped in or set with the scroll wheel. To adjust the volume or pan of the metronome, tap on the "S" logo on the bottom right of the Metronome Song Tool.
Duplicate, Mixdown, and Bounce:
The Duplicate, Mixdown, and Bounce Song Tools allow you to make copies of your song projects, mixdown a project to a single WAV file, or bounce four tracks down to two.
FourTrack contains two MasterFX to sweeten the sound of song. Freakenzy is a 4-band parametric EQ and The Slammer is a compressor. Master FX are applied to the master out and not on individual tracks.
For more detailed information on FourTrack's features and frequently asked questions, refer to the FourTrack Online Guide and FAQ.
GuitarTone in FourTrack
Using the GuitarTone Song Tool: The GuitarTone Song Tool includes virtual amps, cabinets, and pedal effects that can be used as an input effect on a single track. More amps and pedal effects can be purchased either in FourTrack or in the standalone GuitarTone app which will unlock purchased content within FourTrack.
Tap "Song Tools" and look for the GuitarTone Song Tools icon. (If GuitarTone is currently on, a yellow light will be displayed in the top right corner of the icon. If no yellow light is present, GuitarTone is not on. Tap the icon to begin using GuitarTone.
The first screen you are presented with is a preset tone created by Sonoma Wire Works with an amp, effect and microphone. Slide the entire preset to the left to hear reveal several more presets. To edit the preset effect, amp, or cab/mic, simply touch one of those three icons at the bottom of the preset. Those three icons will allow you to adjust, add and subtract effects, adjust and change the amp, adjust the amp, and change the cab/mic combo for each preset. You can save the changes you've made to each preset by either selecting the SAVE icon or trying to swipe to a new preset. This will allow you to change the name to a unique name, so that you can keep the original preset names and settings in tact, or discard your changes. An alternative way to peruse the presets is to touch the preset list button.
When you are finished creating your tone, tap "Song Tools" to return to the Song Tools menu, or tap the arrow in the upper right corner to go back to your song. Arm the desired track by tapping the "REC ARM" button below the selected track and then slide to record.
To turn GuitarTone on or off, slide the on/off switch located to the left of the preset name in the preset view.