RiffCaster Guide: Post Songs Online Quickly and Easily
RiffCaster is a free song posting service integrated into RiffWorks. RiffCasted songs are posted on RiffWorld.com, where musicians worldwide connect and record songs together using RiffWorks. On RiffWorld.com, musicians list their gear, songs, collaborations, and comments. Similar interests are linked automatically, making it easy to find people with the same musical tastes. Musicians can post solo work or collaborations on RiffWorld.com for comments from the community and public. RiffWorld.com connects musicians who have similar interests and inspires them to make music together. Use RiffWorks' RiffLink online music collaboration to record songs with musicians worldwide (at the same time or different times) and chat while you're at it!
What You Should Know Before You RiffCast - Usage Tips and Known Issues
- If you haven't already, learn to use RiffWorks to record your own songs by taking the Quick Start tutorial that begins when you launch RiffWorks and by reading the RiffWorks Online Guide.
- If you haven't already, click here to learn how to Create & Edit Your RiffWorld Profile.
- Log into RIffWorld to listen to some RiffCasted collabs. (Logging into RiffWorld is required to see lists of songs, see comments, make comments, etc.)
- RiffCasting requires RiffWorks T4 v2.6.7 (free) or RiffWorks Standard v2.6.7 ($49), a RiffLink membership, a reliable broadband internet connection (DSL or Cable), a modern computer with at least 4GB RAM, and an understanding of these usage tips.
- Use only alphanumeric characters (A - Z and 1 - 9) in the RiffLink Title and Description fields. You may use parenthesis, periods and commas sparingly in the Description. No brackets, umlauts, accents, slashes, dashes, multiple exclamation points, etc.
- Back Up! Back up your songs locally to your own computer. Sonoma Wire Works is not responsible for any lost songs or user data and may remove songs at any time.
- Posting several songs in a day: Some RiffWorks users want the RiffCaster page to include their song for the longest period of time possible, etc., and may become frustrated if another user posts many songs at once to their personal page, because they also appear on the RiffCaster page, and push the others' songs farther down the list. This is an issue with how RiffWorld is designed, and is not the posting user's fault. We have ideas about how to improve this, but ask for your patience for now. If you want to request new features for RiffWorld, like the ability to hide songs from your list, option to post a song only on a personal page, etc., please know we are aware of many of these requests, and you may suggest them to email@example.com. Please do not discourage people from posting songs. Posting too many songs is not against the rules. Please encourage new users to post and to feel welcome in the community. Having excited new users who feel welcomed in the community will help grow the community, providing the means for us to create new features for you.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues or other tips or issues that you think should be added here.
- Also see RiffWorks Community RiffLink Etiquette Guidelines.
STEP 1: Create & Edit Your RiffWorld Profile
- Keep this guide page open for reference. Do not log into this guide.
- Open a new browser window and go to RiffWorld.com.
- Login to RiffWorld.com by clicking "Login or Join" on RiffWorld.com. If you already have a SonomaKey (username) from the store, RiffWorks, or the forums, then use the same one. Do not create more than one.
- Click on "View my profile" below your user name on the left.
- Edit your Musician Profile. Example of a complete profile here.)
- Upload an avatar (small and square). Format can be gif, jpg or png.
- Upload a picture (of you or your guitar, etc). Format can be gif, jpg or png and best not to exceed 500px wide or tall.
- Enter your musical influences and the kind of gear you use. For best results: Enter influences and gear exactly as the artist/band/manufacturer/company spells, capitalizes, and words them. RiffWorld Gear List Example in the Forum & RiffWorld Influences List Example in the Forum. Or use wikipedia or Google to quickly find the correct spellings and wordings of bands and products. Include the company name before the product. Do not include dashes, asterix, or extra characters. Include a return after each one. This will ensure that your profile will be linked to other people's profiles with similar interests. This makes it easy to find people with similar interests.
STEP 2: Post Your Songs to RiffWorld Using RiffCast
- Edit your RiffWorld Musician Profile before your first RiffCast (see steps above). Contact Support if you have difficulty.
- Record a song with RiffWorks. Download RiffWorks T4 for free, or buy RiffWorks Standard for the most features. Learn to use RiffWorks from the 32-Step Quick Start tutorial that begins when you launch it and from the RiffWorks Online Guide.
- When you have a song you'd like to post, upload songs you've created with RiffWorks to RiffWorld.com using the RIFFCAST button in RiffWorks. This will bring up the RiffCaster submission form. Complete the form paying particular attention to the sections below:
- Title: Use only alphanumeric characters (A-Z and 0-9) No brackets, excessive punctuation, accents, umlauts or offensive language.
- Description: For best results, keep your description under 20 words without excessive punctuation. You can edit it from your RiffWorld profile later to add a longer description, lyrics, etc.
- Genre: Add words that describe the song so it shows up in searches generated by the RiffCaster Genre Tags. Use lower case letters only with no punctuation, slashes or dashes. Separate each word using a comma. You can always edit these later in your RiffWorld profile. Please do not include your name/username in the genre field. Example Genres: rock blues pop metal collaboration and more.
- Station: Choose a Station to post your song.
- Performers: Give credit to yourself if it is a solo effort, and the people who contributed to the song if it is a collaboration (input their usernames).
- Clicking RiffCast uploads your song to RiffWorld.
- Your song will appear on Recent RiffCasts, your Musician Profile, and in the genre lists you specified when you filled out the form.
- There will be an OGG and an MP3 download link under the song player on RiffWorld.com.
- Share your music - Click your song's name on RiffWorld, get the "Embed Code" from that page and paste it into your web page, MySpace page, even paste your song as a MySpace comment.
- Your song will receive comments from the RiffWorks community and the public. Leave comments on others songs too! You can delete comments that your song receives by logging into RiffWorld and going to your comments.
- You can also post songs using the upload form in your user profile on RiffWorld.com.
- See rules for the RiffRumble song contests for instructions about how to enter a solo or collaboration song.
- What you should know before using RiffCast and RiffLink